Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Word to my Mother!

At one point in my life I had visions of teaching my daughter how to sew, embroider, cook and such. However, I was blessed with two rough and tumble sons who have taught ME the love of football, the ability to identify several car types by the grille, tolerance for all things boy, and a huge amount about life. (My younger son still thinks it is fun to perform daredevil feats of strength and agility, while my older son is crazy in love with driving FAST and fighting squirrels and such. I have spent many moments with my hands over my eyes and butterflies in my stomach.) I taught them what they could feign interest for along the way, like how to do some cleaning, some cooking, and make crafty things for 4-H; however, while my true talents benefitted them greatly, I think most of their interest was just to make Momma happy.

Last night  after a trip to the local Ben Franklin store, I started teaching my younger son's girlfriend how to knit.  She is like a little dream come true for me because she loves crafty things and wants to learn everything I do. I am a self-taught knitter, so I have learned how to do things from friends, video, and books.  I am truly a novice.  Having said all of that, as I was teaching her how to do the knit stitch, she made the comment that I make it look so easy and and that my fingers seemed to move so easily.  It occurred to me then that I have had some type of handwork in my hands since I was very young. I always wanted to do whatever my mother did.  I recall sitting at her feet with "sewing" cards while my older siblings were at school.  
It was really lacing, but I learned how to hold a needle and a great deal of hand/eye coordination was developed.

This moment brought me back to my first post.  Again, I must say that I am very grateful to have my my mother's hands.  

As for the knitting, well Ashley is going to get it figured out, I think.  I bought her some knitting needles and a pretty skein of yarn and gave her a book and some leftover balls of yarn to take home and use for practicing.  We found her some videos to watch, and if she keeps after it, she will be knitting her own gifts and scarves before long.  

As for me, I have been working on some scarves with which I am truly in love and think that my next projects are going to be a shawl for me and some sweet baby ponchos.



Once again, thanks Mom!
Love M




No comments:

Post a Comment