Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2015

A Mother's Work Is Never Done

It has been such a long time since I have posted anything! It seems that most of my winter and spring sewing and knitting has been for the creation of gifts, and one-of-a-kinds for my grandson, who is due to arrive very soon. So now that I have all of that under control and most of it gifted, it is time for me to settle in to my summer routine of work a little and play a lot. I just haven't really known where to start writing since school let out, and I am officially a summer retiree--that is until yesterday!

 Yesterday, I had a few minutes before my 4-H friend arrived for a little sewing lesson, so I sat down at the machine and started attaching the binding on a quilt that has been laying around my house for about 3 years. It was my mom's quilt top that I found in her sewing stuff after she passed away. I took it to my long arm quilter and had it quilted in the "Jitter Bug" pattern about a year after Mom died. She loved to dance the Jitter Bug, so that seemed fitting. Since then it has laid in one place or another around my sewing room with the binding neatly wound in a "jelly roll" on top of it. I just never have been able to find the time to finish it.

 Yesterday when I actually found the time, I realized I had not really wanted to finish it for those 3 years. I started sewing, and that feeling I get when I think about my mom and all her work--needle and otherwise--washed over me. Her favorite question was always, "have you got your work done?" My favorite answer was always "I am working on it, MOM." As long as everybody was working on something, she was happy because she was always working. Even her sewing and flower arranging was considered her work. It hit me in those moments that if I finished her quilt, her work would be done! I found that hard to imagine, so I stopped before I got all the way around.

 Last night I told my husband about my work on my mom's quilt, and he responded with "don't finish it!" Even he understood.  I gave it some thought and decided to at least finish attaching the binding. I am not sure when I will get around to sewing it down by hand, but at least I can say, "I am working on it!"

 Glad to be back!
M

No comments:

Post a Comment