Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Diaper Clutch Tutorial: Clutch a Diaper and Off You Go

Not too long ago, I went in to see my new great niece, not that all my nieces are not great but. . . . Sorry, I could not resist the bad pun!  Anyway, one of my nieces just had her fourth baby and fourth girl. So a few weeks ago, while getting ready for her family “sprinkle,” I made her this diaper clutch to use when she would have her hands too full for a big diaper bag. 

I tried to use a blend of fabrics to make sure it suited her but still had that “for baby” feel.  Here is how I did it.

You will need three coordinating fat quarters
A piece of fusible batting
Coordinating thread
Coordinating hair band (optional)
A very cool button.


Cut the two fabrics that you choose for the outside and lining fabrics and the fusible batting into rectangles 13.5 by 12.5 inches.
Then cut the pocket fabric into two rectangles 9 by 12.5 inches.

Apply the batting to the wrong side of the lining and set aside.

Fold the pocket fabric in half length-wise, so you have two pieces 4 by 12.5.  I like to press a very sharp crease at the fold. Everyone knows pressing is important, but the sharp crease is particularly satisfying to me for some reason. Top stitch.


Place the pockets fold side to the center on each end of the lining. At this point, if you want to section pockets off, you would measure and mark the sewing lines for the pockets. I chose to make one smaller pocket to hold bum ointment securely. Be sure to stich the pocket seam to the lining before sandwiching the fabrics together.

Place the outer fabric over the top with right sides together. Sew around the outer edges using a 1/4inch seam allowance and leaving an opening of at least 4 inches on one side. Turn the fabric right side out. Fuss the corners to points and seams smooth, then press.

Once you have your clutch pressed and fussed, top stitch and embellish.


I did not choose to create a fastener for my clutch, but this can be easily done by using a section of a coordinating hair band. Just place the loop to the inside of the fabric sandwich at the center of the bottom seam.  When you turn it inside out, it will be in place.

This is a quick basic project with lots of possibilities

M




No comments:

Post a Comment