Pages

Monday, September 8, 2014

Back to School Edition

I spent most of July sewing for Christmas.  That means that I cannot show anything I have completed until at least December 26th!  However, I am very pleased with sewing for Christmas in July and plan to make it a tradition in my sewing room.

August is always a hectic month for me because I have to get ready for my return to work. Not only do I have to prepare my mind and soul, I also have to prepare my room.  I spend a lot of time in that space, and I like for it to be homey and inviting for all of us.  One way I do this is to make new curtains every other year or so. I made some last year, but when I ran across this piece of fabric, I just knew I needed new ones again this year.  I just love these super plain valances; they make a statement. It is nice to find a piece of fabric that will do all the work for you.



I am not sure why, but this year my colleagues and I decided to give our hallways a new look.  I have worked in my district for 17 years, and we have never really made this kind of an effort before.  I think Pinterest has something to do with it--that and our fearless principal!  The endless ideas are simply inspiring.  So several of us got together, developed a plan, and got after it.  The best part is that I got to sew! Well that and the fact that my days are brighter because our school looks great.
We cut the pennants from paper and used vinyl letters we cut with a cricut.  Then we laminated them, and I sewed them into the fold of some bias tape.  They look like they were professionally done.  

  After all of this sprucing up, my principal decided she had a great idea for curtains for the suite of offices she shares with her secretary and the Special Education Director for the district.  So she very recently found the fabric she wanted, and we set out to make them.  I sewed, and she pressed and measured, measured and pressed.  They look pretty and add a little pizzazz and character to the offices.

Well, fall is around the corner, and my new schedule is setting in. Can't wait to get back to my sewing, knitting, and talking about my favorite things with you.

M





No comments:

Post a Comment