Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

EPP Shapes and Stitches Sew Along #1

English Paper Piecing is the process of preparing small shapes by wrapping fabric around the edges of a template in order to sew them together into something wonderful.  Well,that is my definition anyway.

So, I agreed to be part of this sew along with Meredith and promptly decided that hexies are my shape--at least for starters! I think it has something to do with my love of the snowball block and this cold bathroom floor that for the past 25 years I have looked at most mornings with disdain  Whatever it has been, that is where I am going to start--the roundly rugged hexagon!
  On my trek over the river and through the woods back to my house, I realized that I really needed to conduct some research on this English Paper Piecing. I knew my shape, but this is some serious stitching.  So I made a quick trip around the web and found some interesting information, tips, and books.  I bought one for my
Kindle, The New Hexagon by Katja Marek, and quickly began dabbling in the process of preparing my first few hexies.


Here's my plan:
1. Make a table topper from Hexies.
2. Use my Fiskars Hexie Punch to make two inch templates from card stock and/or magazine ad cards.
3. Use black, white, and gray, which is always subject for re-eval.
4.  Use different blocks from my new book until I get the hang of it and can design my own.
5. Complete at least one block a week.

First lesson for me!  "It's all about the baste." (Thanks for the great line, Meredith)

I began my journey down the EPP lane with the process. I started with three different methods of preparing the little shape.  Some people baste only the corner folds, some use glue all the way around, and some just baste.  So I tried all three.  My favorite process is this one.  Cut your paper template, poke a hole in it for easier removal, add a dab of glue to the back, press firmly to the wrong side of the fabric, and begin folding the edges around clockwise.  Then baste that little sucker all the way around. It just works better for me.  I feel more secure, and I like the way my finished little shape looks once I press it!

That is where I am at this point.  I am off to make some snowball blocks for a baby quilt and then work on my hexies.  I will be back really soon with one finished block--I hope.

Until then remember, it's all about the baste, no trouble!
M

No comments:

Post a Comment